Wednesday 4 March 2015

#INSTALUNCH DF Mexico, Shoreditch

Armed with only a phone, lots of flowers from the nearby Columbia Road Flower Market and a craving for some Mexican grub - I review the uber cool DF Mexico...
DF Mexico, shoreditch review blog
What I ate…
I had the chicken burrito which comes as is - no choosing what goes in it here, you get what you're given. Good news is it's tasty and very filling with a very generous bit of guac. The tacos are also very yummy and although they're messy as hell they do come on special holders which makes keeping hold of the filling that bit easier. For dessert I had the raspberry ice cream with popping candy but it must have been Mexican popping candy because it nearly took my face off. Lots of fun.

What I drank…
The bottomless cold drinks; red hibiscus juice, lime and chia seed juice which was the most refreshing drink you could possibly wish for and Horchata, a kind of chilled rice milk with cinnamon which was weird at first but now I'm searching for other places to drink it. It reminded me of eggnog and I liked it.

What I wore…


What it costs…
For a main, ice cream and drink about £12 which is amazing! You also pay at a self service touchscreen which was very slick and high-tech.

What’s the verdict?
This is very fast food but it's tasty and the environment is that of an upmarket East London eatery - I sat in the window which proved to be an excellent people-watching spot, I even saw Tom Daley. I especially loved the industrial-style typography used everywhere from signage to menus and the natural wood used liberally in the restaurant was the perfect partner to the abundance of greenery and foliage that adorns this very good looking haunt.

I would compare it to Nando's in that it's cheap, quick and tasty - some might see that as a diss but I really loved it. The menu is very simple and the concept just works. It's by the same people behind Mexican restaurant Wahaca but it's definitely cooler and a concept I can see being rolled out nationwide. Fast food can be chic too!

4.5/5

 DF Mexico, Old Truman Brewery, Hanbury Street, London E1 6QR

1 comment:

DF/Mexico said...

We love your post on us Sheree - thank you! Would you mind sending us some of your photos to info@dfmexico.co.uk. Thanks agin - let us know when you're next in for a frozen margarita on the house :)